Botox remains one of the biggest names in the anti-aging cosmetic industry, and millions of men and women around the world have benefitted from its wrinkle reducing properties. It has become a popular treatment for softening facial wrinkles, and restoring a youthful appearance.
What is Botox?
Botox (botulinum toxin type A), is a purified protein that is derived from the Clostridium botulinum bacteria.
What does it treat?
Botox is very effective in treating dynamic facial wrinkles. These wrinkles are formed as a result of the continuous muscle movement related to expressions such as squinting, laughing, and frowning. Dynamic wrinkles are typically found across the forehead (furrows), between the eyebrows (glabellar lines), and at the corner of the eyes (crow’s feet).
How does it work?
Botox works by relaxing the muscles. This occurs because botox blocks the normal nerve impulses to the muscles that cause them to contract. The muscles then relax, and this gives the dynamic wrinkles a chance to soften, which makes you look younger.
How many treatments do you need?
One botox treatment is often all that’s needed, but this may need to be adjusted depending on the area being treated.
What to expect
After treatment there may be some minor pain and swelling, but this should resolve quickly. Most patients are able to resume regular activities right away, but strenuous activity should be avoided for the first 24 hours.
It often takes 7 – 10 days for botox to settle and the results to be seen. The full effects can take up to 3 weeks. Botox typically lasts 3-4 months, but some patients that have being using it for several years have noticed that it lasts a bit longer.
After Care Instructions
- DO NOT lie down for at least 4 hours after the injection
- DO NOT massage or touch the areas injected for at least 4 hours
- For the remainder of the day, use the muscles injected as this will help the Botox work. For example, frown a lot, smile a lot, and raise your eyebrows as much as you can
- Botox begins to have an effect within 3 to 7 days, but it takes a total of 14 days before the effect is complete
- For patients being treated for the first time, the effect may begin to diminish in as early as 2 months, whereas the effect typically lasts longer (3 to 6 months) with repeated treatments
- Bruising sometimes occurs and is normal. Ice on the area immediately after the procedure is generally helpful if a bruise begins to appear
- For women, you may apply any cosmetics as you normally would
- Some patients may experience a headache within the first few days after treatment. This is not uncommon, although Botox more often has a beneficial effect on headaches
If you are looking for a non-invasive treatment to refresh your appearance, botox may be right for you. Contact the Aesthetic Center of SCS, serving the greater Atlanta metro, to learn more about botox injections. Call today at 770-422-3306 or fill out the form on this page for a consultation.