Fraxel® resurfacing laser
Fraxel laser resurfacing is recognized as one of the most effective ways to achieve healthy, beautiful skin that glows. The Fraxel resurfacing laser renews the surface of the skin, and is also a wonderful anti-aging therapy. The treatment is quick, virtually painless, and recovery time is minimal.
What is the Fraxel Resurfacing Laser?
The Fraxel laser uses fractional technology to resurface the skin. Fraxel is the industry standard for fractional laser resurfacing, because it delivers dramatic results, and is safe for use on all skin types.
What does it treat
Fraxel can be used to treat a variety of skin surface irregularities including wrinkles, fine lines, hyperpigmentation issues (brown spots, melasma, acne scars etc.), and enlarged pores. The Fraxel laser can be used on the face, neck, décolletage, and back of the hands. Treatment is customized to suit your skin concerns and skin tone.
How does it work?
The Fraxel resurfacing laser delivers microscopic pinpoint beams of laser energy into the skin, but leaves the skin between the treated areas intact. The thermal damage stimulates collagen, which contributes to the resurfacing of the outer layer of skin. It also accelerates healing.
How many treatments do you need?
A course of 2-4 treatments is generally recommended in order to achieve optimal impact.
What should you expect?
Patients may experience a slight burning sensation and some redness after treatment, but this should settle quickly. Downtime ranges from 3 to 5 days. After this period skin texture will improve, scars will fade, and there will be a dramatic improvement in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Fraxel After Care Instructions
- Immediately After Treatment. Use a bland moisturizer (i.e. Cetaphil® cream) or a very thin layer of petrolatum ointment (i.e. Aquaphor®). Use petrolatum ointment to cover any area with oozing and keep moist. Use of icepacks helps alleviate the heat sensation. You may also cleanse your face with a mild cleanser.
- First Few Days. Continue cleansing and moisturizing over the next few days. Once the sloughing starts, please allow your skin to heal and DO NOT scrub, rub, or use exfoliants. Keep clothing away from treated body parts as much as possible to avoid irritation.
- First Week of Healing. Keep treated area clean; avoid smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, excessive exercise, perspiring, swimming, or exposing skin to heat and sun.
- Skin Care Products. All of your skin care products should be non-irritating and non-clogging for the first week or so after a Fraxel treatment. Examples of brands that offer very gentle and inexpensive products that are ideal to use: Aveeno®, Dove®, Neutrogena®, and Cetaphil®.
- Scrubs, Toners, Glycolic Acid, and Retin A. Your skin will be sensitive for the first week or so after treatment. Do not use products that will cause irritation during this time. Do not use abrasive scrubs, toners, or products that contain glycolyic acids or Retin A. Read the product labels.
- Normal Skin Care Regimen. Once the sloughing is complete, you may resume your routine skin care and make-up products, as long as they are tolerable to you.
- It is very important that you use sunscreen to prevent sun damage to the skin. Sunscreen should offer broadband protection (UVA and UVB) and have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more. Once sloughing is complete, use sunscreen daily for at least 3 months after your last treatment. Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside, and again, immediately before. Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours. If direct sun exposure is necessary, wear a hat and clothing that covers the treated area. Your practice of diligent sunscreen use may lower the risk of laser-induced hyperpigmentation (darker color).
- Remember that peeling and/or flaking is normal during the healing process. Therefore, the moisturizer you use should be non-irritating and non-clogging, or else you could develop breakouts. During the healing period, your normal moisturizer may be too occlusive, so consider products from the brands listed above. Instead of using 2 separate products, use moisturizers that contain SPF30+. Reapply whenever your skin feels dry.
- Bleaching Creams. Discontinue use of your bleaching cream while your skin is tender.
- Resume your normal skin care regimen when your skin has fully healed.
- Cold Sores. If you have a history of cold sores, ask your doctor about care!
- Abnormal Healing. If you notice any blisters, cuts, bruises, crusting/scabs, areas of raw skin, ulcerations, active bleeding, increased discomfort or pain, pigment changes (lighter or darker than usual complexion), or any other problems, please contact us as soon as possible.
Are you ready to take years off your appearance? Contact Skin Cancer Specialists, P. C. & Aesthetic Center, serving the greater Atlanta metro, and schedule a consultation to discover a more beautiful you with Fraxel resurfacing laser treatment. Fill out the form on this page or call 770-422-5557 today for an appointment. Available at our Marietta, Austell, Newnan and Cartersville locations.