Laser hair removal has grown phenomenally in the US, since it was first approved by the FDA in the late 1990’s, and it shows no signs of slowing, because is it fast, convenient, and long lasting. At Skin Cancer Specialists, P. C. & Aesthetic Center we use the cutting-edge LightSheer DUET and LightSheer DESIRE lasers by Lumenis, for laser hair removal.
What is laser hair removal?
Laser hair removal involves the use of laser technology to get rid of unwanted hair.
LightSheer DUET and LightSheer Desire both utilize High Speed Integrated Technology (HIT) to remove hair. This involves the use of vacuum assisted treatment to improve efficiency.
The LightSheer DUET is a 800 nm laser. The LightSheer DESIRE is a 805nm diode laser, and is equipped with 3 handpieces. The large spot size (22x35mm), allows the lasers to penetrate deeply, and ensures more efficient absorption of energy by the targeted hair follicle. It also speeds up treatment time.
How does it work?
With the LightSheer HIT technology, a vacuum effect pulls the skin into the handpiece, which means that the hair follicle is closer to the energy source. The energy is absorbed by the melanin at the base of the follicle, and the resulting heat damages the hair follicle, and prevents re-growth. The ChillTip technology cools the skin during treatment, in order to enhance comfort.
How many treatments do you need?
It typically takes multiple treatments to eliminate unwanted hair, lasers only work on hair when it is in the anagen or growth phase. Hair type and hair color also influences the number of treatments needed.
What areas can be treated
The areas commonly treated include the bikini area, back (for men), underarms, and legs.
Prior to Treatment:
- Do not tweeze, wax, use a depilatory, or undergo electrolysis in the areas you wish to have treated for 4 weeks prior to laser hair removal.
- Do not tan the areas to be treated for 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- Avoid using self-tanning products for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Do shave the areas prior to treatment.
- Do not wear deodorant if underarms are to be treated.
- Accutane use within 6 months of treatment is forbidden.
- Stop Retin-A, Retinol, Glycolic, and AHA products 2-3 days prior to treatment.
- Let us know if you have a history of fever blisters if you are undergoing treatment on your face.
- Some redness and swelling in the area is normal after treatment and may feel similar to a sunburn. This should resolve within several hours to several days after treatment. Cool compresses are helpful to alleviate the discomfort.
- Gently clean the area daily and keep the area moist with an over-the-counter moisturizer, Aloe Vera gel, or Aquaphor ointment until the inflammation resolves. For patients who have blistering or crusting, apply a small amount of Bacitracin or Polysporin ointment once or twice daily until it resolves.
- Avoid irritants (glycolic products, Retin-A, etc.) for 7 days after treatment.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure and apply sunscreen SPF 30 or greater daily over the treated areas for at least 4 weeks whenever they are exposed.
- If underarms were treated and the area is irritated, do not wear deodorant for 2-3 days after treatment.
- Treatment is most effective when the hair shafts are present in the hair follicles. Shaving the area, however, is fine.
- The laser treatment does not remove or pull out the treated hair, so the hair that was treated is still visible and is slowly ejected from the hair sheath. This hair ejection may give the appearance of hair growth for the next 1-2 weeks.
- Each area to be treated usually requires multiple sessions approximately 4-6 weeks apart. Some areas with heavy hair growth require more sessions in order to destroy or to disable the hairs for extended periods of time.
- It might be possible to remove hair in an area forever. Even though the hair may be disabled and not grow for long periods of 3-6 months, the hair might return in the future. The fact that the hair responded to treatment and was disabled for an extended period almost invariably means it will respond again in the future.
Contact Skin Cancer Specialists, P. C. & Aesthetic Center, serving the greater Atlanta metro, to learn more about our gentle hair removal systems. The LightSheer DESIRE is available at our Marietta office (770-422-5557), and the LightSheer DUET is available at our Newnan location (770-502-0202). Our simply fill out the form on this page to request a consultation near you.