If you want to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, acne scars and brown spots, you should consider a procedure called microneedling. This minimally invasive treatment involves rolling an electric skin-needling gadget over your face. Twelve fine needles prick your skin up to 2mm deep, leaving small wounds behind. This triggers your body to enter healing mode, prompting the production of skin-repairing collagen and elastin.
Microneedling with PRP is even more powerful. This is when the microneedle tips are used to deliver platelet-rich plasma (PRP) from your blood to the treatment area. This innovative combination of treatments provides faster, more effective results than microneedling alone.
For the best results, follow these tips leading up to your appointment:
- Keep out of the sun for 24 hours before your treatment.
- Avoid taking autoimmune disease medication for 24 hours.
- Arrive at the clinic with a clean face and no makeup.
- Don’t have microneedling performed if you have used Accutane (Isotretinoin), an acne medication, in the last six months.
During Microneedling Treatment
Here’s what to expect if you decide to try microneedling:
- Some patients say the process feels like having sandpaper rubbed across the treatment area.
- During the microneedling procedure, your skin may become red and tight, creating the sensation that you have been sunburned.
- Your aesthetician will apply a topical numbing cream before treatment begins to improve your comfort level.
After Microneedling Treatment
Here’s what to expect following the procedure:
- Wait at least four hours to wash your face.
- Your skin may feel warm and tight and look red for one to three days. During this period, use a delicate cleanser and moisturizer, and apply 1% hydrocortisone cream as needed to soothe skin irritation. Avoid swimming, strenuous exercise and excessive sun exposure.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medications for several days, which could interfere with your body’s healing process. Pain medications that aren’t anti-inflammatory, including Tylenol (acetaminophen), are acceptable.
- Peeling and flaking of the treatment area may occur three to five days after microneedling as a result of increased skin cell turnover. Avoid picking and scratching at your skin. Instead, use a gentle moisturizer to help combat dry skin.
- The positive results of microneedling will become visible within two to four weeks. In the meantime, you can wear cosmetics to lessen the appearance of skin redness and peeling.
- Expect the results of microneedling to last up to six months. You can repeat the procedure as often as every four to five months.
- You may need three to six treatments to maximize your results. Six to eight sessions may be necessary when treating scar tissue.
Skin Cancer Specialists, P.C. & Aesthetic Center has several convenient locations in the greater Atlanta area where you can receive microneedling with PRP treatment. To learn more about this treatment, or to schedule an appointment, please contact us at 770-422-5557.