Are you ready to have healthy, beautiful skin? You may think it’s beyond your grasp, but at Skin Cancer Specialists, P. C. & Aesthetic Center, we have treatments to help you discover a more beautiful you. For damage caused by the sun, aging, or scars, we offer the Fraxel® resurfacing laser, to improve the tone, texture, and radiance of your skin.
- What is Fraxel laser resurfacing? One of the most effective ways to achieve healthy, beautiful skin, Fraxel laser treatment targets aging and sun-damaged skin by using microscopic laser columns to penetrate the skin. Treating a fraction of tissue at a time, these laser columns expedite the body’s remodeling of collagen without affecting the tissue surrounding the damaged areas. Creating thermal damage on the areas it’s treating, Fraxel laser resurfacing stimulates collagen, causing growth of new, healthy skin cells, and accelerating healing. The results are dramatic, and it’s safe for use on all skin types.
- What conditions does the Fraxel® resurfacing laser treat? Fraxel treats a variety of skin surface irregularities and can be used on the face, neck, décolletage, and the back of the hands. In just two to four treatments, it works to correct wrinkles, fine lines, brown spots, melasma, acne scars and enlarged pores. The treatment is customized for you, to address your skin concerns.
- What should you expect from Fraxel laser resurfacing? For most patients, there’s a sensation of heat during the treatment, and some redness afterward. It’s similar to a sunburn but usually diminishes in a few hours. To minimize discomfort, the doctor will apply topical anesthesia before the procedure and use cold air on the treatment area during the procedure.
- What happens after the procedure is over? There’s a period of downtime that ranges from three to five days. After this, skin texture will have improved, scars will have faded, and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles will be dramatically improved.
- What should you expect while you’re healing? You may have some temporary swelling or puffiness, which can be alleviated using an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory like Motrin or Aleve. You may also notice tiny white bumps on your skin, and you may experience peeling. Do not pick at your skin, attempt to extract the little white bumps, or peel off flakey skin. This is all a normal part of the healing process. Some things that are not normal include blisters, cuts, bruises, crusting or scabs, raw skin, ulcerations, active bleeding, increased discomfort or pain, or pigment changes that are lighter or darker than your complexion. If you experience any of these, contact our office as soon as possible.
- How should you care for your skin after Fraxel?
- Immediately after treatment: You may wash your face with a mild cleanser, and use a bland moisturizer or a thin layer of petrolatum ointment to cover any area with oozing, in order to keep it moist. You can also use ice packs to help alleviate the heat sensation.
- For the next few days: Continue this cleansing and moisturizing, but when the sloughing starts, let your skin heal. Don’t rub or scrub your skin, or use exfoliants. Keep your treated body parts away from clothing, so they won’t become irritated.
- During the first week of healing: Don’t smoke, avoid excessive alcohol consumption, excessive exercise, perspiring, swimming, or exposing skin to heat or sun. Use only non-irritating, non-clogging skin care products for the first week or so, and you should not use any abrasive scrubs or toners, or products that contain glycolic acid or Retin A. You can resume your normal skincare and makeup routine after the sloughing is complete, as long as the products don’t irritate your skin. Be careful to wear sunscreen daily for at least three months after your last treatment.
- How many treatments will you need, and how will they be scheduled? Typically, effective treatment requires two to four sessions, which are spaced five weeks apart. The results are immediate and improve progressively, with optimal results seen in about two to three months.
Are you ready for beautiful, new, glowing skin? At Skin Cancer Specialists, P.C. & Aesthetic Center, we offer innovative and effective methods of skin management, including Fraxel laser resurfacing, to help you rejuvenate your skin and look your best. Originally conceived as a practice devoted to treating people with skin cancer, we have expanded our services to also become a premier dermatology practice with an aesthetic center that is staffed by licensed cosmetologists and aestheticians. Continually adapting our practice to reflect new and improved technique and procedures, we adhere to the highest standards in the industry. Call 770.422.5557 or contact us through our website to learn about our personalized care and what we can do for you.